Netplay in RPCS3 was introduced by GalCiv, who developed RPCN, an open-source server that emulates the P2P match-making done on the PlayStation 3. RPCN can also be used to communicate with private servers for games that require a dedicated server for multi-player features. In this regard, games that require a custom server will not work unless a fan-made private server is created. This is outside the scope of the emulator, and will have to be developed by the community.
Please refer to our RPCN Compatibility List to see the list of games that have been tested and their current status of compatibility. We also have a dedicated channel to testing netplay capabilities in games on our Discord server. Please join our efforts to test all PlayStation 3 titles!
Guide to use Netplay
There are a few steps to configure Netplay in RPCS3 which we will cover here.
First, configure the global settings as follows:
- Ensure you're using the latest version of RPCS3.
- Navigate to
Configuration > RPCN.
- Ensure Host is set to
- Set NPID to the username of your choice.
- Click Set Password and type a custom password for your account. DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD.
- Click Create Account and you will be prompted to enter your email address. Enter your email address and press Ok.
- If all goes well, you'll see a message that your account was created successfully.
- Check your email for a new email from RPCN with your token, copy and paste the token into the Token field in RPCN configuration and press Save.
Next, configure the per-game configuration as follows:
- In the game list, right-click on the game you wish to play and press Create Custom Configuration.
- Navigate to the Network tab.
- Set Network Status to Connected.
- Set PSN Status to RPCN.
- Ensure DNS is set to 184.108.40.206, unless a different address is required for the game.
- For games that require custom servers, enter the relevant IP/Host Switches in the available text field. The list of games for which custom servers are available can be found here.
Community members also maintain a spreadsheet tracker of all upcoming custom servers and user-generated content archives.